As I continue on my new paleo lifestyle with The Mister, we are always looking for new recipes. Snacks have been a little hard – I can only eat so much fruit and almonds people!
I was talking with a friend the other day that started paleo a few months ago and he had this ahh-mazing looking granola mixture. I stopped him because all oats are not allowed and I had to know more. Turns out the oat looking things were actually slivered almonds.. He let me taste it, I fell in love and the rest is history!
Ahh-mazing Paleo Granola
- 5 cups nuts and seeds – I used 2 1/2 cups of slivered almonds, 1 cup pecans, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup flax seeds, 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds. Make sure to use 2-3 cups of slivered almonds as these take the place of oats. Make sure all nuts are unsalted and organic
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup organic grade B maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil – coconut oil comes in wax form. Remove the lid and heat in microwave for 1 min. Coconut oil is Jenn’s fav!
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 3/4 cup organic raisins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried fruit. I used blueberries
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper and Preheat your oven to 350.
- Combine nuts and fruit in large bowl, drizzle on oil, and mix to coat the mixture.
- Put the honey, syrup and seasonings into a small skillet pan on med-low heat until everything is mixed together. The longer you heat it, the crunchier it will be.
- Add the nut and fruit mixture to the skillet and stir everything to coat. (This reminded me of stirring rice-crispy treats – it will be a little sticky).
- Pour the entire mixture onto the lined baking sheet and bake in the over for 15-25 minutes. Everything will start to get a golden brown color.
- Immediately after removing the mixture from the oven, transfer it to a new bowl to begin the cooling process in the refrigerator. Make sure you take a few bites while it is warm though – just trust me – it will change a small part of your life!
- Enjoy, snack, have as dessert, have as breakfast, send with your kids, send with your Mister. It is healthy, it is paleo and it is AHH-MAZING.